CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS OF ASSISI
On 20 September 1936, in the presence of the Archbishop and the Italian governor Mario Lago, the first stone of the church was placed. The church was designed by Αrmando Bernabiti, built by engineer Vellini, and concluded in 1939. It is besides the gate of Saint Athanasios and it became the church of the parish of the Franciscans in Rhodes. The church has three narthexes, with a flat roof.
It is larger than Santa Maria, and it is the official parish church of the Latin church of Rhodes. On Sundays and holidays, the Mass is conducted in Greek. The attendants may attend the Mass in their native language through leaflets with the psalms translated into twelve different languages.
The church also organizes and hosts concerts of sacred and classical music. The church has very good acoustics and hosts an organ.
1. Click the «Get Directions» button below . Enter the home position in «A:» . The destination position «B:» is already completed.
2. Click on ‘GET DIRECTION’ button.
To change the transportation mode, click on the corresponding icon for transport by car, public transport, cycling, hiking, or plane.