Hospice of St. Catherine
The Hospice of St Catherine was built in 1391-92, under grand master Juan Fernandez De Heredia, by the Italian Domenico d’Allemagna, admiral of the Order of the Knights. The Hospice, exclusively intended for eminent guests of the Order, was already in use from 1394-95.
The building was destroyed in the siege of 1480 and the earthquake of 1481 but it was rebuilt by Costanzo Operti in 1516, when Fabrizio del Caretto was grand master.
The building is fully restored and awarded the Europa Nostra Award for exceptional preservation work, by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture. The first floor functions as a museum and the basement hosts educational programs for elementary schools.
1. Click the «Get Directions» button below . Enter the home position in «A:» . The destination position «B:» is already completed.
2. Click on ‘GET DIRECTION’ button.
To change the transportation mode, click on the corresponding icon for transport by car, public transport, cycling, hiking, or plane.